Saturday, August 30, 2008

What is organizational communication(s)?

Since I posted my last blog I have received a few comments on what I actually am considering organizational communication and organizational communicationS. That brought me to an interesting point in the book. I have miscommunicated with you. I have made assumptions about the definition of communications. When I define it I bring my own set of experiences with the term. I see it as corporate, mass, and interpersonal. And this experience of miscommunication brings me to my second concept in the book that the transmission of information as communication misses the larger process of making sense of the world in which one is communicating, how we relate to each other and our messages, and how we have experienced our world in which we are sending and receiving messages, whether they be from an internal source, to an external audience or between two individuals. In communicating my feelings about communications I simply packaged it up and sent it off, as the book calls it, without taking into account that many of us in this class have experienced the term “communication or communications” very differently. I am in a mass communications and journalism program practicing internal communications for a high-tech company, this is a communications studies class that is part of the business school. We have all defined this term through our experiences and therefore have decoded it through our own lenses.

No comments: