Friday, September 5, 2008

The reality of globalization

The effects of globalization are interesting and hit close to home. My father has worked in the manufacturing industry for the last 35 years. He has experience, knowledge, but no degree. Since the mid 1990’s my dad has struggled with finding jobs in the industry. Many of the factories that he has worked for close down because of the global competition. They loose their contracts to manufacturers outside the US and the factory has to shut down. He has been directly effected by this global expansion of organizations. I am torn though. I work in the manufacturing department of my company now. One of the reasons that my company is one of the leaders in manufacturing and supply chain is because we have excelled at globalizing. We do not do any of our own manufacturing and almost all of our factories are outside the US in China, India, and South America. This has proved to be a great business decision but it has caused the US factories that used to do these jobs to shut down. I see my dad’s point of view from an individual who has been negatively effected by the globalization of organizations but I am also experiencing the positive business effects of an organization that has globalized.

1 comment:

cathyblog08 said...

I am sure the situation you are in is very common. If we are lucky enough to work for companies that have excelled at globalism, we all know people that are on the other side of the coin. People that have been affected negatively.
I am in the same situation, but the only difference is that my father was lucky enough to be able to retire when the company he worked at for 30 years went bankrupt. Whether globalism is good or bad, we just cannot stop it and have to constantly keep our skills growing so we can adapt and change according to the job market.