Saturday, September 20, 2008

Theory X or Theory Y?

I have worked for both a Theory Y manager and a Theory X manager. I have worked for more theory Y managers but am now much happier and I believe as a result more efficient now that I work for a theory X manager.

When I was in high school I worked for a tanning salon in southern California. My boss at the time would run us like dogs and if there was ever a dip in our sales he would blame it on our character not on the market or any external force of nature. He would video tape us at the front desk and scrutinize our every word and move when making a sale. He did give us external rewards, based on sales we made commission and were given bonuses, but the monetary rewards never made up for the disrespect. I found myself more defiant towards him because of the lack of trust in my ability to do a good job.

Last year I worked for a Chamber of Commerce in Southern California. My boss there was horrible. She was the epitome of a micro-manager. She would come over to my desk and say, “what are you working on, let me see it.” or ”You’re doing it wrong, you don’t know anything”. This made me have very little motivation to be efficient.

Now at this job the culture of the organization is to trust that the employees that were hired are intelligent, hard workers that can make decisions and to leave them be to really let their skills shine. If I tell my boss an idea I have she says, “that is great, go do it. I will support you in whatever you need.” If I need her she is there but she trusts that if I can think the great idea I can also implement it without a lot of supervision. I really thrive in this environment. I like to be trusted that I can do my job and do my job well.

I think that a Theory Y management style can cause an employee to be disgruntled, resentful, and stifled of creativity. I always felt what’s the use of being innovative and creative if it will only be scrutinized, stopped in the process of, or degraded. A Theory X management style I feel opens an organization more open for creativity and allows the minds of the organization to think outside the box.

1 comment:

CommBuzz said...

I think you make an important point. A few months ago I read about a research study that asked employees of a company to choose between a raise, or recognition of the integral role they played in the success of the organization. The majority of employees opted for recognition. I know myself, that when a suggestion I've made was seriously considered or adopted, my motivation and morale increased significantly. Getting a pay increase as a result of a yearly performance evaluation has no comparable effect. The more hierarchical an organization is, the lesser the chance for the recognition of individual initiative.