Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Communication Competencies

The book listed three sets of competencies in communication that are important for the organizational context. I related to all three of these especially social perception and interaction management. I have always been very aware of the environment that I am communicating in often to the point of distraction. I find myself constantly analyzing an interaction and adapting to what I perceive. I am always assessing the responses of those around, facial expressions, tone of voice, eye movement, to determine if I am communicating to my audience appropriately. I also questioning the course of the interaction to see if I need to manipulate the flow of exchange. In fact I find that many interactions feel unnatural to me because my mind is always in analysis mode. I think that it makes me a better communicator and I would probably be a great speaking coach but sometimes I wish I could just focus on the people I am speaking to and not hyper-analyze the situation.

No comments: