Friday, October 10, 2008

Internal and External Relationships

I just got back from a two week training at one of our manufacturing partners in Austin, TX. To them we are there customers to us they are our partners. It was very important to the SVP of my organization that a handful of new hires that were just beginning their career create this relationship with external stakeholders early and it was important for the partner to build these relationships with their customer. The book states that there is a need to start looking at organizational relationship as not just being internal but with external organizations as well. This was an invaluable experience that I will never forget. Not coming from a manufacturing background I was able to learn something new about how our products are actually made and all that goes into it. Also experiencing this customer-partner relationship first hand and having the opportunity to develop this relationship was something that will benefit me for the rest of my career. Not only did I develop a pre-existing organizational relationship I also grew my network.

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

One of the major criticisms of organizational communication research is the tendency to focus only on internal communication and often only on one organization. Yet as your experience these past two weeks highlights, what goes in between organizations is essential to understanding organizing. In August I presented several workshops at the sales representatives meeting for the publisher of my public speaking book. Interacting with the sales reps gave me insight into their job and they learned about the book directly from the source.