Thursday, October 23, 2008

Misunderstandings and Conflict

I have a co-worker is our web-developer. She knows a lot about technology, computers, and design but she does not know how to communicate that information very well. I have to work closely with her and I discovered early on that she speaks tech-speak to anyone and everyone, whether they have a technical background or knowledge or not. I have learned to cope with her communication style but it did create conflict at first. I never understood what she was asking for or telling me so I would do it wrong and we would both get frustrated. I learned to repeat back to her what I was hearing so we could ensure that we were on the same page.

I see it create conflict with others in the team as well though. They too have many misunderstanding and mutual frustrations because they do not speak each others “language”. I have learned to understand what she is saying so I feel like I am sometimes the translator because I rephrase her tech terms into layman’s terms.

3 comments:

cathyblog08 said...

That's interesting, I find that people using acronyms can also create some frustration. I remember a person high up in the corporate ladder who was always using acronyms. She probably assumed that everyone understood her but that was not the case, so our meetings took longer and important messages were lost. People learned to adapt to her style and like you were paragraphing with english words what she was saying to make sure they understood. She was very smart and I often wondered if she did that just to show that she knew more than the rest of us.

PinkLady said...

I have been in similar situations with people that speak in a "different" language. One of my bosses does that -- she speaks using big words and long sentences, which just confuses everyone. I'm sure she does this just to sound smart because it must be obvious that no one understands her. It's frustrating to me that people think they need to use big words, acronyms, etc. just to sound smart. I don't think these are related and a good manager should be able to communicate clearly. If the words they're using creates misunderstanding and conflict then it's not effective. I often feel "stupid" when people use these huge words and this leads to feelings of negativity and eventually conflict...

Sree said...

I guess this is a very common occurrence and most of us face this issue. I think active listening concept which you were already using by repeating or paraphrasing what the other person was saying is the best approach to handle this.
But this sometimes does not work when we are in a big groups and some one in addressing all of them. We at work are part of Finance group, but we work in IT, When we have an all finance employee meeting most of the IT people are clueless on why they are there, the presenters normally present numbers etc., in the way they would talk with their colleagues and we normally always come out of those meeting thinking what a waste of time it was.